Thursday, February 26, 2009

Slumdog, yeah, baby


Slumdog Millionaire on-screen lovers Dev Patel (in Burberry) and Frieda Pinto (in Roberto Cavalli) pose with their eight Oscar statues on the latest cover of Entertainment Weekly.
Anil: “I have been in films as a leading man for the last 25 years. I’d done over 100 films as a hero. My son said, ‘Dad, enough of playing a good man – you have to do this.’ I started shooting, and I changed as a human being. I am from a very simple background, almost like from the slums. Now, what a special time. It’s magic.” Dev: “I was a 17-year-old kid. I didn’t really know where I was going to end up,” he says. “And this film sort of fell in my lap. It feels like destiny in a way. Even now, the film winning the Oscar is very surreal. The character’s given me so much, not only as an actor but as a person. I remember when production began, I was a ball of nerves, didn’t really know how to work in front of a camera or how to express myself. I was a lot more introverted. And Danny Boyle came along – and this incredible city, which taught me about being an optimist. I feel I can hold my head up high now. I feel like I matured five years in the space of five months. I’m 18 and I was at the Oscars yesterday!”
Freida: “I was struggling. I was presenting this travel show. I was coming to the end of it and had enjoyed the nine months of traveling. I was like, Oh, now my life’s over. I’m not going to have anything interesting to do. I was frustrated that I hadn’t found the right project. But now I think that the fruit of the struggle ends up being the sweetest taste possible. I mean, this is strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, apples, bananas – the sweetest fruits in the world put together. It changed my life. It made me grow. It’s made me equipped to brave challenges in the future. You can’t predict the future, but I do have this optimism and this hope that if I just continue dreaming and continue working the same way, then I’ll be unstoppable.”
Just Jared

No comments:

Post a Comment