Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Madonna`s Lola



While it has become increasingly clear that Madonna’s 13-year-old daughter Lourdes ‘Lola’ Maria has a passion for fashion, the extent of her talent has come to light with Material Girl.An affordable junior clothing line to debut at Macy’s in August, Material Girl represents a collaboration between mother and daughter — though Mom is quick to downplay her level of involvement!
“I just stand in the background and go, ‘That’s cool. That’s not cool,’” Madonna, 51, insists to the Associated Press.
“If Lola wasn’t so completely involved in the line, designing, consulting, whatever you want to call it, I wouldn’t do it. Really she does most of the work, honestly.”
Promoting the launch has fallen on Madonna’s shoulders, however, because of Lola’s busy school schedule. “She has a lot of work to do,” the singer explains. “I don’t want her to be distracted.”
Promising that her daughter “will eventually be able to talk about [Material Girl],” Madonna says it can’t happen soon enough!
“I am going to be happy when she does because she can speak much more clearly … and in a more informed way than I can about a line she is ultimately designing.”
Working side-by-side was an eye-opening experience for Madonna, who admits she came to view Lola differently as a result.
“I see her more as a creative person, as an artist and less as my daughter as we are working,” she explains, “and then every once and a while I remembered she is my daughter.”
By Madonna’s own account, Lola has been interested in fashion design for quite some time, and good friend Stella McCartney deserves the bulk of the credit.
“She got her mind thinking when Lola was a little girl, about 8-years-old,” Madonna recalls. “She started giving Lola fabrics and inviting her into her showroom and asking her opinion on things, giving her sketch books and stuff like that.”
While McCartney is singled out as someone who “pushed” Lola, Madonna notes that she has numerous other friends who are clothing designers, and that as a result, her daughter is no stranger to the industry.
“She has been around all of the shoots I have done and all of the campaigns I have done,” Madonna says.
Life on the road with mom has also provided ample opportunities for Lola to hone in on her craft. Madonna adds,
“She is always hanging out backstage. The last two tours I have done, she has been working in the wardrobe department. On this last tour she dressed all of the dancers.”
Lola’s love of her English upbringing is evident in the designs.
“According to her, she thinks people have more style in London, especially the boys,” Madonna shares. “French boys in particular have very good style, according to Lola.”
Music and dance class have also ignited Lola’s creative spark, but sometimes she finds inspiration closer to home!
Madonna adds, “Of course she is inspired by my closet. My Christian Dior shoes will go missing and then some fabulous bag I won’t be able to find or my skinny jeans, the only pair that fit me are gone.”
When asked which fashion lessons she’s learned from her daughter, Madonna says she has learned just one. “I am boring basically,” she jokes.
Noting that Lola “just goes for it and tries different things,” Madonna admits, “She reminds me of me when I was younger.”
People

No comments:

Post a Comment