Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Why model agencies hated THE SEXY RAQUEL?

Modelling agencies 'hated' Raquel Welch's body when she first approached them for jobs, the legendary pin-up has revealed.
Miss Welch, now 69, said people branded her figure far from perfect after she moved to Los Angeles, California, in the early 1960s to try to make it as a movie star.
'When I tried to do some modelling after I first came to LA - just to get a job - they hated my body. Everything was wrong,' she told US talk show host Oprah Winfrey.
But the One Million Years B.C. star, who has penned a new autobiography entitled Beyond The Cleavage, said their view rapidly changed when she was thrust - somewhat reluctantly - into sex symbol status.

'I had no idea that was the path I was going to be going in when I started my career, because I wanted to be an actress,' she said.
'When I came to Hollywood I was actually the mother of two small children already and I wanted to be taken seriously.
'It wasn't common knowledge, it wasn't something I paraded around a lot.'
In fact, at the age of 18, she had married her high school sweetheart James Welch in 1959 - whom she would divorce five years later.
And the couple's two children she kept quiet about as she tried to launch her career were Damon (born in 1960) and Tahnee (born in 1961).

Arriving in LA during the 'beach party craze' of the early 60s, she landed minor roles in films such as Elvis Presley's Roustabout (1964) and A Swingin' Summer (1965) before being catapulted to stardom with One Million Years B.C. in 1966.
Despite her good looks, Miss Welch told Oprah she did not feel like a sex symbol on a daily basis.
Asked if she felt as good as she looked, she laughed: 'Barely. I'll have my mornings when I really like myself, but 90 per cent of the time it's "Oh my God".
'One of the reasons I look so good is that it takes me about three hours to get ready.'

Far from perfect: When Welch first moved to Hollywood modelling agencies rejected her, until she found fame in films like 1967's Bedazzled
But the film star, who was linked to a string of men in her heyday - including Elvis Presley, Dean Martin and Burt Bacharach - said she would urge women to feel comfortable with growing old.
'I want them to stop being scared of it, because it's just another chapter in life,' she said.
'I want to encourage them not to be disturbed and to really embrace it and go with it.'
Daily Mail


No comments:

Post a Comment